Common User Facility
The Western Australian Government-owned Common User Facility (CUF) is a 40ha integrated fabrication and assembly facility, with an open access policy for multiple users. The CUF has been operating since 2003, and is part of the Fabrication Precinct at the Australian Marine Complex (AMC).
It is a safe and secure location for fabrication, assembly, commissioning, maintenance and repair activities, as well as providing excellent offloading and load-out facilities.
Key CUF Facilities
- 80m x 60m fabrication hall including 200-tonne portal crane with 32m clearance below the hook
- Floating dock with 12,000-tonne capacity
- Self-propelled modular transporters - 4,500 tonne capacity
- 40ha laydown assembly area
- Project offices
- Worker amenities
- Workshops and warehouse facilities
- Six wharves - including two deep water heavy load-out wharves
- Underground reticulated services for power, water, telecom and sewer
- 24-hour managed security
- Links to the high-wide load corridors (9m x 9m x 50m)
AMC Management (WA) Pty Ltd
AMC Management (WA) Pty Ltd (AMCM) is the facility manager for the CUF. AMCM is responsible for marketing, operating and maintaining the CUF and is the first point of contact for access to the facility.
AMCM is contracted to LandCorp, which is the government agency responsible for the overall Australian Marine Complex. AMCM also works closely with the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation for business development and investment attraction.
Users of the CUF bring their own project management team, workforce and operating methods into the CUF to perform their project as an extension of their workplace.
AMCM personnel are experienced in the construction and operation of Large Made to Order Projects, and are available to provide support in a number of ways. AMCM personnel can:
- Assist in the formulation of productivity-improving strategies for user projects;
- Answer questions about the CUF's facilities and commercial principles to supplement information available on this website;
- Advise on the availability of the different CUF facilities;
- Provide presentations of the capabilities of the CUF and conduct site tours for both users and their clients;
- Explain policies and requirements associated with health, safety, environment, operations and employee management for the facility; and
- Suggest local contacts to help companies do business at the facility.
The CUF is, as its name suggests a "common user facility". It is not a facility dedicated to one user or even one industry.
Broad Market Focus
The facility services a range of industries including the defence, marine, oil and gas and resource industries.
Multiple Concurrent Projects
The CUF is large for a number of different projects to be undertaken by different companies concurrently at the facility.
Independent Facility Manager
The facility manager, AMC Management (WA) Pty Ltd, maintains the facility and coordinates access by other parties. It does not provide project management, a workforce or equipment and has not vested interest in the projects.
Users Manage their own Projects and Workforces
Parties using the facility provide their own management and workforce and accept normal project accountabilities. The Facility Manager guarantees access to defined facilities for an agreed period.
A for the AMC-CUF is provided on this website. Rates can vary to attract appropriate projects to the facility, but the CUF will not offer different rates to different parties competing for the same project.
Customs and Security
The CUF has a Section 15 Customs gazetting which allows customs clearance at the facility. Offices have been established for use by Customs officials to facilitate the receipt and bonding of project materials. The CUF Port Security Plan is fully approved by Department of Transport and Regional Services (DOTARS) and compliant with International Maritime Organisation (IMO) requirements.
Before approval is given to a party to use the facility, it must demonstrate its commitment to and capability of observing basic health, safety, environment, and employee management standards. More details are provided in the Using the CUF section.